Thursday, September 10, 2009

It is risen: the bread

The bread baking has begun in earnest. Last week I began small, with a simple white bread. Then onto rye. This week I bought some whole wheat flower and starting mixing it with bread flour. One of the recipes from Peter Reinhart's Brother Juniper book had me mixing in butter milk and honey. Yesterday I tried struan, a Scottish harvest bread with cooked brown rice, polenta, wheat bran and honey. The result was pretty good, but the rice turned out a little crunchy. I am also experimenting with how long I can leave the dough for its first rise. All in all, I'm enjoying the experience. Today, after my son Will's badgering, I cooked a loaf of banana bread. Again a first. It's cooling in the kitchen.

The challenge of course is not to eat all of the bread that I am so happily making.

No comments:

Post a Comment