Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Wonderful Place

I awoke this morning at 5:30 a.m. to head off to the bakery at St. Joseph's Abbey. Located down the road in another building, I had to find my way in the dark of the early morning (with a star lit sky overhead) and only the smell of bread baking to guide me. I found it! The baking began at 3 a.m., which was a little early for me. The monks and volunteers welcomed me warmly and I saw their production of 700 loaves of bread to be distributed to soup kitchens in the New Orleans area. A wonderful ministry.

Meals are eaten in silence with the monks, with one person assigned to read from a spiritual book. Today's lunch the reading was about the making of the King James' Bible. Funny to be with Roman Catholic Benedictines and listening to tales of the Church of England in the early 1600's.

The silence is wonderful and much needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment